The Chair of Architecture and Construction Dirk E. Hebel at FCL Singapore has organised an FCL-SEC Fall Semester 2012 Seminar CONSTRUCTING WASTE.
Hundreds of tons of waste are produced in Singapore every day. These wastes represent an invaluable pool of resources, which could be activated by rethinking their designs. The ‘hands on the material’ seminar CONSTRUCTING WASTE will interrogate the concept of up-cycling strategies in order to minimize the overall refuse amount being produced in Singapore. The focus on design questions should create second life cycles for otherwise waste products.
The seminar will be conducted as a combination of input lectures, reading seminars and the production of full- scale up-cycling design products. Students will be asked to map the nature and flows of an everyday product through different research methods and finally to change the product design in order to influence both waste and material stock and flows in the future. 10 weeks of seminar will result in 3 credit points, project descriptions and an up-cycling prototype in full scale.
- WEEK1 Introduction: CONSTRUCTING WASTE
Speaker: Asst. Prof. Dirk Hebel
- WEEK2 Territorial Scale: TRASH VOYAGE
Speaker: Prof. Dr Stephen Cairns
- WEEK3 Up-cycling: CRADLE TO CRADLE
Speaker: Dr Sun Xiaolong
- WEEK4 Social Aspect: DESIGN LIKE YOU GIVE A DAMN
Speaker: Assoc. Prof. Wang Jing-Yuan
- WEEK5 Waste Management: TOWARDS ZERO WASTE
Speaker: Ong Seng Eng
- WEEK6 Environmental Aspect: SPACESHIP EARTH
Speaker: Prof. Dr.-Ing Rainer Stegmann
- WEEK7 Commercial Aspect: HYPE OF WASTE
Speaker: Marta Wisniewska
- WEEK8 Financial Aspect: IS IT WORTH IT?
Speaker: Felix Heisel
- WEEK9 Aesthetic Aspect: IS PLASTIC FANTASTIC?!
Speaker: Chen Chia-Lung
- WEEK10 FINAL PRESENTATION
For more information, please view Assistant Professorship Dirk E. Hebel